How does a bastard, orphan, son of a whore and a

为何一个私生子、孤儿、妓女和

Scotsman, dropped in the middle of a

苏格兰佬的儿子

Forgotten spot in the Caribbean by providence

降生于加勒比海的一片荒芜

Impoverished, in squalor

家徒四壁,潦倒困苦

Grow up to be a hero and a scholar?

最终能够成为一个伟人与学界巨富?

 

The ten-dollar founding father without a father

十美元上丧父的国父

Got a lot farther by working a lot harder

以己之力求索人生之路

By being a lot smarter

凭借禀异天赋

By being a self-starter

依靠自学以塑

By fourteen, they placed him in charge of a

在十四岁,众人请他掌管

Trading charter

贸易财务

 

And every day while slaves were being slaughtered and carted

每一日目睹黑奴惨遭屠戮,运进船库,远渡海陆

Away across the waves, he struggled and kept his guard up

他时刻饱受挣扎,警惕如临深谷

Inside, he was longing for something to be a part of

内心中却在寻找一种信仰来守护

The brother was ready to beg, steal, borrow, or barter

这小子已经准备去讨去偷去借或乖乖做一个商户

 

Then a hurricane came, and devastation reigned

此时一场飓风袭来,留下遍地尸骸

Our man saw his future drip, dripping down the drain

这兄弟眼望自己的未来,似要坠入阴霾

Put a pencil to his temple, connected it to his brain

于是提笔抵着太阳穴,连接向他的脑海

And he wrote his first refrain, a testament to his pain

写下了他第一首诗篇,自己苦难的颂赞

 

Well, the word got around, they said, “This kid is insane, man”

作品传颂开来,人道这孩子真挺不赖

Took up a collection just to send him to the mainland

快送他到本土大陆,为他筹笔钱财

“Get your education, don’t forget from whence you came, and

去上学吧,别忘了自己从何处而来

The world is gonna know your name. What’s your name, man?”

这世界将会听闻你的名字, 你叫什么,现在登台——

 

Alexander Hamilton

亚历山大·汉密尔顿

My name is Alexander Hamilton

我叫亚历山大·汉密尔顿

And there’s a million things I haven’t done

这里还有千万未竟之事为我等待

But just you wait, just you wait...

只请你们等着看,你们等着看...

 

 

When he was ten his father split, full of it, debt-ridden

十岁时,父亲出走,留下累累负债

Two years later, see Alex and his mother bed-ridden

二年后,母亲重病,与他共卧病榻

Half-dead sittin in their own sick, the scent thick

在病房中忍受污浊空气与病害

 

And Alex got better but his mother went quick

亚历山大痊愈了,他的母亲却走得很快……

 

Moved in with a cousin, the cousin committed suicide

过继到了表兄家,表兄却又自我了结

Left him with nothin’ but ruined pride, something new inside

没留任何东西给他,除了傲骨上新添的伤疤

A voice saying

一个声音浮现

 

“You gotta fend for yourself.”(“Alex, you gotta fend for yourself.”)

「你只能依靠自己!」(「亚历山大,你只能依靠自己!」)

 

He started retreatin’ and readin’ every treatise on the shelf

他忍住哭泣,开始贪婪地笃学古今

 

There would have been nothin’ left to do

也许他的生命将混混而度

For someone less astute

若无他这种才赋

He woulda been dead or destitute

他或将死去或活于困苦

Without a cent of restitution

承受不住一分的债务

Started workin’, clerkin’ for his late mother’s landlord

但他却自力更生,为已故母亲的房东记账做工

Tradin’ sugar cane and rum and all the things he can’t afford

打理着他付不起的甘蔗和朗姆酒的买卖来谋生

Scammin’ for every book he can get his hands on

嗜读着他所能碰到的每一本书

Plannin’ for the future see him now as he stands on

憧憬着未来,现在他终于站上

The bow of a ship headed for a new land

一艘航船,驶向新大陆的海港

In New York you can be a new man

在纽约,你将脱胎换骨大不一样

 

In New York you can

在纽约,你将

Be a new man— (Just you wait!)

脱胎换骨大不一样——(你们等着看!)

In New York you can

在纽约,你将

Be a new man— (Just you wait!)

脱胎换骨大不一样——(你们等着看!)

In New York you can be a new man—

在纽约,你将脱胎换骨大不一样——

In New York—

在纽约——

New York—

纽约——

 

 

Just you wait!

你们等着看!

 

Alexander Hamilton(Alexander Hamilton)

亚历山大·汉密尔顿 (亚历山大·汉密尔顿)

We are waiting in the wings for you(Waiting in the wings for you)

我们在岸上等你到来 (在岸上等你到来 )

You could never back down

你永远都停不下自己的脚步

You never learned to take your time!

你永远都学不会别再把自己催促!

 

Oh, Alexander Hamilton

哦,亚历山大·汉密尔顿

When America sings for you

当美利坚为你颂唱

Will they know what you overcame?

他们可知你所经历的这些?

Will they know you rewrote the game?

他们可知是你重写了一切?

The world will never be the same, oh

这世界将改变得轰轰烈烈,哦

 

The ship is in the harbor now

船已经驶进港

See if you can spot him

看聚光灯是否已落于他身上

(Just you wait)

(你们等着看)

Another immigrant

一个移民小子

Comin’ up from the bottom

从底层攀爬而上

(Just you wait)

(你们等着看)

His enemies destroyed his rep

他被敌人搞得臭不可当

America forgot him

美利坚又将他遗忘

 

We fought with him

我们与他并肩厮杀

 

Me? I died for him

我?我殉命正为了他

 

Me? I trusted him

我?我信任他

 

Me? I loved him

我?我爱他

 

And me? I’m the damn fool that shot him

而我?我就是那个蠢货,一枪崩了他

 

There’s a million things I haven’t done

这里还有千万未竟之事为我等待

But just you wait!

只请你们等着看

 

What’s your name, man?

你叫什么,小子 ——

Alexander Hamilton!

亚历山大·汉密尔顿!